Last week I published a free resource on my website. In it, I made the statement “Living on track and living drained do not go together.” Ever since I hit the “publish” button, I have been thinking about that statement and asking if it is really true. I know what it feels like to be tired, and I know what it feels like to feel drained. What’s the difference and why does it matter?
This past October I went to a conference called Catalyst in Atlanta Georgia. The theme of the conference was “Fully Alive!” Going into the conference I felt anything but “fully alive”, in fact, I wondered if there was really such a thing. I sat in the arena for two full days and listened to amazing speaker after amazing speaker and slowly found my “tanks” filling. I did not realize it, but I was completely drained going into the conference and came out “filled up”. The day after the conference when my friend and I were traveling home, I wrote down a list of items in my life that were draining me. Today I can say that I get tired, but I am guarding myself against becoming drained.
What’s the difference?
We get tired when...we know what direction we want to go, what we want to achieve and put our heart and soul into achieving it.
We get drained when...we don’t really know where we want to go and what we want to accomplish in life. Yogi Berra once said “If you don’t know where you’re going, you’ll end up someplace else.” It’s like the frantic feeling while driving when you realize you are lost.
Knowing where you want to go and what you want to accomplish in life will take some time and energy, but it feels good to know you are on the right track!
We get tired when...we put our time and energy on the things that are truly most important to us.
We get drained when...we allow ourselves to be continually pulled in the wrong direction by other people and what is important to them. When I left the “Fully Alive” conference, I had to come to grips with the fact that I did a lot of things, not because they were right for me, but because I wanted approval of others. Ugggh! I know. This one is a hard one, but here is the good news. We do not have to get everything perfect right now. Sometimes, once we become aware of areas that we need to improve on, we start taking baby steps to change it.
Starting to determine what is most important to you is a great place to start to live on the right track and feel less drained by others.
When we are tired...we go to bed at night knowing we spent our time and energy on the right stuff. We may be physically tired, but we are ready for a good night’s rest and ready to hit the ground first thing in the morning.
When we are drained...we go to bed feeling empty, desperately looking for a way to fill our tanks. That is where I was back in October.
I don’t want you to feel this way! It feels so much better to live with a plan and feel on track.
I want to swoop into each of your lives. I want to encourage and support you in the endeavor of living life on track. The way I have found to help as many AMAZING WOMEN as possible is to put together some resources to guide you on the journey. Here is what I have put together for you.
Module 1 of my Live Your Life On Track series:
- Is a simple start to take a look at the activities of your life and decide whether they bring you happiness or not.
- It helps us realize we are in control of our lives and sometimes some small tweaks can make a big difference.
Module 2 which you can sign up for next week! (Sign-up limited to June 14-June 23rd):
- Will help you reconnect with the areas that are most important to you, but you get pulled away from.
- Will help you take a close look at where you are today and where you want to be in the future.
- Will teach you three key habits that will help you live on the right track for years to come.
Module 3 is where I bring my Life Planning Class online for you. In this class you will:
- Dive deeper into the most important areas of your life.
- Look at what you want those areas to look like many years in the future.
- Create a plan that will get you from here to there, even when the twists and turns of life want to get you off course.
- There will be a fee associated with this course, but it will be worth the investment in you and your future! Keep an eye out for more details in weeks to come.
But for right now, keep plugging away on Module 1 and if you have not had a chance to download your guidebook yet, sign up below and start to live our life on the right track!