Have you ever had a day where you were constantly interrupted? Just as you were getting going on something important, someone or something popped up to pull you away from it? You just got some good mojo going and KAPOW! You get pulled off course.
I have known for a long time that I do not work well with distractions. I worked for a not-for-profit where we utilized volunteers in as many roles as we could to get the most accomplished. One of the HUGE blessings we had was a number of retired ladies who would come in and answer the phones for us. Having them remove the constant interruption of the phone ringing allowed me to dive in a get a lot of work done.
Just recently I started to notice myself easily distracted again, and because of it, not staying focused on my work. The culprit was the phone again, but instead of phone calls breaking my concentration, it was my need to constantly check to see if someone messaged me to “liked” my post.
About the same time, I came across a book that sounded intriguing. It is called Digital Minimalism, Choose a Focused Life in a Noisy World by Cal Newport. I love the concept of minimalism in my life, and I loved the definition he gave in the description of the book. “Minimalism is the art of knowing how much is just enough.” I love that definition because it means we each decide what works best and what amount of anything we want in our lives. How much is just enough for you?
In the book, Cal walks the reader through a process of figuring out what amount is just enough, but then challenges them to remove the rest. He suggests going on a 30 days “digital diet” (my description) to see what you are fine living without and what you might like to add back in.
After just a few weeks on my digital diet, I have been blown away by the results.
First, I have been more relaxed than I have been in a long time.
Second, I have gotten to the point where I started to feel bored, but then an amazing thing happened. I looked around at all of the things I always wanted to get done but never have time, and I started to work on them.
Third, I have been able to accomplish some amazing things at work, things that I have been dreaming about doing for years.
There are so many VERY IMPORTANT people and areas of our lives that deserve so much of our focus. In our busy lives, it is hard to find time for all of them. We ask ourselves, how can I fit it all in? How can I take care of others, my job, my home and my own health? It is hard to fit it all in.
One of the solutions is to always look at the non-essentials that we can remove to fit in the essentials. My eyes were opened by my experiment with cutting back on my phone checking.
If you are asking yourself “how can I find more time to focus on what is most important to me?” I highly recommend Digital Minimalism, Choose a Focused Life in a Noisy World by Cal Newport. I do not get any kickbacks for recommending this book. He has simply made me a believer that minimalism works just as well for my smartphone as it does in the rest of my life.
Here’s to living an AMAZING life FOCUSED on all that is important to you!Photo by Kaboompics .com from Pexels
Registration Closes This Tuesday, July 30, 2019 - Register TODAY!
Live Your Life On Track - Module 3
How To Achieve Your Ideal Life
Work At Your Own Pace Online Course
This online course will:
- Provide direction and more focus in the areas of life that are most important to you.
- Help you define what you want your future to look like, not allowing others to define it for you.
- Create a plan that will get you from here to there, even when the twists and turns of life try to get you off course.
- Establish Small Action Steps that will fit into your busy day and keep you moving in the right direction.
- This online course contains 4 time released Lessons, one published each Thursday, on the first four Thursday of August 2019. (1st, 8th, 15th & 22nd)
- Each Lesson will contain a quick Video Lesson with Action Step Instructions and Worksheets for you to work on before you move on to the next lesson.
- You will have access to the course for 4 MONTHS which will allow you to work at your own pace! I believe in a NO STRESS ZONE! (Access from August 1, 2019 - November 30, 2019)
Achieve Your Ideal Life for $69.00 per participant!
- Registration is only open for one week! Wednesday July 24, 2019 - Tuesday, July 30, 2019 so mark your calendar!
- There are only 25 "Seats" Available for the course. First come first serve!
- By signing up for this course, you will also receive Jen's weekly blog post and updates on new resources and courses!
- Please note that this course is non-refundable.
August is a great time to pull out the school supplies and invest in an amazing future! Head to Jen's Resource Shop below to Register!